The popular ski resort of Kitzbühel in Austria is a place for a good winter holiday. It is considered the best ski resort in Europe. The reasons are many trails of varying difficulty, developed infrastructure, here you can go skiing, snowboarding, see local natural and historical sights. But before the trip it is recommended to study the feature of the sports complex.
Description of the hostel
The location in the center of the Tyrolean Alps makes the Kitzbühel ski resort convenient for Europeans and tourists from the CIS. The base is located in the vicinity of Salzburg; it can be reached by bus or car. It was built in the 20s of the last century, recently made a global reconstruction. International competitions are held here, there is the famous Streif slalom track, where several world records have been set.
General description of the sports complex:
- The season starts in December and ends in April.
- Tracks for mountain and cross-country skiing, freeride, freestyle, snowboarding have been developed.
- There are medical and preventive centers, and spa salons.
- Indoor sports complexes have been built where you can play tennis and football.
- For a relaxing holiday there are baths, saunas, several indoor pools.
Additionally, they offer walking and bus tours to local historical and natural attractions. Freeride lovers can rent a helicopter to climb slopes with a natural layer of snow.
How to get there
The nearest international airport is in Salzburg. You can get to the Kitzbühel ski area by car, bus or taxi. The distance from the airport to the camp site is 77 km. You can drive from Munich (157 km) or Innsbruck (84 km). There are regular bus services from the Salzburg bus station. From Munich or Innsbruck, you need to travel with transfers.
How to get to the sports complex:
- By car. You need to go along the highway 161, the travel time from Salzburg is 50-60 minutes. There are often traffic jams and congestion in the morning, especially on weekends.
- By bus. A convenient option if you are traveling without a lot of luggage. Depending on the city of departure, the ticket price is 45-70 Euro.
- Suburban train. You can buy tickets to the Kitzbühel resort, from the railway station to the camp site you can walk 10-15 minutes or hire a taxi.
- Taxi. The fare is 150-300 euros, depending on the distance and the number of passengers.
When booking a room in the hotels of the ski resort, you can order a transfer from the airport and back. It is convenient for large groups of tourists and independent travelers. Prices are on the official website of the Kitzbühel ski resort or a specific hotel, hotel.
The slopes of the sports complex are located on two slopes – Hahnenamme and Kitzbüheler Hern. They are located relatively far from each other, but they have a single ski-pass. You can alternate skiing by day. Hahnenamme is a difficult slalom route, which is marked separately on the slope map of the Kitzbühel ski area. Only professionals ride here, international competitions are often held.
The slope of Kitzbüheler Hern is designed for beginner skiers. But in addition to the standard trails, there are ski jumps, slopes for freestyle and snowboarding. For the latter, a strip with artificial obstacles and springboards was built. There is a slope for children with a small length and slope.
Description of the slopes of the sports complex:
- Ski area at an altitude of 800-200 m.
- The total length of the slopes is 170 km.
- Freeride trails – 55 km.
- The number of descents is 70.
- There are 65 lifts – ski lifts, chairlifts, with large cabins.
The price of a day ski pass is 26-53 Euro. Buying a subscription for two weeks – from 230 Euro. There are several ski equipment and equipment rentals. Rental prices – from 120 euros per set. You can rent part of the equipment, which is convenient for completing a specific type of skiing, snowboarding.
For accommodation, you can choose a hotel or a hotel with a convenient pricing policy. Before the New Year holidays or Christmas, book a room in advance, 2-4 weeks in advance. You can stay in a guest house – a chalet. This is a convenient option for large groups of vacationers. In addition to several bedrooms and a large living room, these houses have a small kitchen. The hotels provide storage space for skis, snowboards and equipment.
Ski resort hotels:
- Harisch Hotel Weisses Roessl 5*. The well-known hotel in Tyrol is located 200 meters from the ski lifts, next to the casino. The last renovation took place in 2000. Tyrolean style decoration, good service, but above average prices.
- Tennerhof 5*. From the hotel to the ski resort 15 minutes’ walk. Infrastructure – indoor pool, restaurant on the outdoor terrace. The number of rooms is 40 rooms, where 2-6 guests can stay. You can book accommodation with breakfast or full board.
- Grand SPA Resort A-ROSA 5*. The shape resembles a classic Tyrolean castle; the rooms offer a good view of the mountains. It is located 2 km from the historical center, there is a golf club nearby.
- Hotel Schwarzer Adler 4*. Prices for booking rooms are average, rooms are spacious, decorated in Alpine style. The nearest ski lifts of the Kitzbühel ski area are 300 meters from the main entrance. There is a ski-bus stop next to the hotel.
- Hotel Goldener Greif 4*. Made on the basis of an old tavern with a cozy atmosphere. The rooms are small but comfortable. It is recommended to visit a local restaurant where you can taste Tyrolean national cuisine.
Near the ski resort there are several guest complexes with chalets. This is a convenient accommodation option for large groups of tourists. However, the rental price of a cottage starts from 350 Euros.
The Kitzbühel ski resort has several expensive upmarket restaurants. But there are cafes and bars for everyday dining. The advantage of the camp site is the possibility of organizing budget and gourmet meals. You can book a table at one of the famous restaurants for a romantic dinner. At the same time, have breakfast in a traditional French cafe in the morning.
Restaurants of the sports complex:
- Hochkitzbuhel. It is located in the upper part, at the Hahnenkamm ski lift. European cuisine is served here. There are open and closed terraces. Convenient for recuperation before the next conquest of the track.
- Lois Stern. Located in the historical center, in the old town. Feature – open kitchen, you can see how your meals will be prepared.
- Landhausl. Large traditional Tyrolean dishes are served here. Each portion is designed for 2-3 people. Prices for dinner for two – from 35 Euro.
- La Fonda. Restaurant of Mexican cuisine, high-calorie and hearty. Lunch costs from 25 Euro.
There are many cafes and bars in the ski resort and in the town. Here you can have a hearty and tasty meal, enjoy the atmosphere of a ski resort. The farther from the tourist center, the lower the prices.
Attractions and excursions
In addition to skiing, you can visit the sights of the Kitzbühel ski resort. The hotels have representatives of tour agencies. An alternative is to book excursions at the time of booking the tour. But on the spot you can choose an interesting route, study reviews about it. The weather depends on the possibility of visiting a particular place.
Attractions located near the sports complex:
- Caps Castle. It was built in the 17th century, here you can look at the ancient architecture. Feature – a golf club is located in the park area.
- Church of St. Andreas. It dates back to the 16th century, the frescoes of the 15th century are well preserved here. Entrance is free for visitors.
- Castle Hotel Lebenberg. Built in the 16th century, most of it is occupied by a hotel. But the historical part with expositions is open to tourists and independent travelers.
- Hinterobenau Museum. Its expositions show the life and way of life of local peasants and farmers of the 15th-16th centuries.
- Flower garden of the Alps. The main building is located at an altitude of 1800 m and can be reached by cable car or on foot. All types of plants growing in the Alps are presented here. There is a collection of flora from other continents.
- Museum of the Middle Ages. The history of the development of skiing in this region is presented, there are original skis and equipment from the 18th-19th centuries. It is recommended to visit the art gallery.
In addition to museums and historical attractions, the resort often hosts entertainment events, sports competitions and festivals. These days there is a large influx of tourists, so it is recommended to book hotels in advance.
Phones – +43 5356 66660
e-mail – [email protected]