When choosing ski resorts in Austria, it is recommended to consider the sports complex Zell am See (Zell Am see). This is a large camp site, the infrastructure of which will allow you to go skiing and snowboarding. Additionally, conditions for a relaxing holiday are created here, there are entertainments for young skiers. Detailed information about the ski resort of Kaprun will help you plan your vacation and get the most positive emotions.
Description of infrastructure
The sports complex is located in the provincial district of Pinzgau, Salzburg. It is located at an altitude of 786 meters and is divided into two parts – the Kaprun glacier and Maiskogel. A feature is the presence of thermal springs, on the basis of which sanatoriums and SPA centers have been created. It offers medical and wellness treatments; you can relax in the hot water of the open-air pool.
Kaprun ski resort is conducive to family holidays. For active entertainment, a convenient scheme of trails has been developed, on which there are routes for classic skiing and snowboarding. You can go freeriding on one of the nearby slopes. For children and adults there is an ice skating rink, a tubing route. Riding on “cheesecakes” is a favorite activity of young guests of the sports complex.
General description of the recreation center:
- The season starts in November and ends in April.
- Tauern Spa Kaprun spa Kaprun Kaprun ) operates a network of thermal springs. Water temperature – up to +60°С. Water is enriched with useful substances and minerals.
- There are restaurants and bases that serve local cuisine, there is a classic European menu.
- There are several shops in the village of Karpun, there is a shopping center.
- Adult tourists are invited to discos and nightclubs.
- Snowmobile rental, dog sledding.
Developed service network for skiers and guests. The official website of the ski resort Kaprun describes the rental of ski equipment and equipment. There is also information about the work of the ski school. Programs for adults and young skiers have been prepared. You can order individual lessons or sign up for group lessons.
How can I get to
The ski base is located in the central part of Austria. The nearest airport is in Salzburg. The distance to it is 90 km. you can book air tickets to the cities of Innsbruck (150 km.), Munich (190 km). Regular bus services run from Salzburg towards the camp site. An alternative is to book a transfer or rent a car to travel around Austria. There you can visit the Kaprun ski resort, see the main sights of the country.
How to get to the ski base:
- By train. They depart from the railway stations of Salzburg, Munich and Innsbruck. You need to buy a ticket to the stop Zell am See (Zell Am See). Regular buses run from it to the camp site. Travel time is 1-1.5 hours.
- By bus. Direct bus services only run from the Zell Am See bus station. From Salzburg, the frequency of departure of buses is different. It is recommended to take the train first, and then choose the ski bus.
- By car. From Salzburg, you need to exit onto the A10 highway and get to the B311. If you are coming from Innsbruck, you should exit onto the A12 motorway. To travel from Munich, you need to follow the A8 highway.
An alternative is to order a transfer. For group bus trips, you can get to the ski resort of Kaprun for 70 euros per person. This is convenient if you have a lot of luggage. The transfer can be ordered on the official website of the sports complex or hotel.
The slopes of the Kaprun ski resort are located at the foot of two slopes – the Maiskogel and the Kitzsteinhorn. The first one is well suited for beginners, training slopes are made here, conditions are created for developing basic skiing and snowboarding skills. There is a separate children’s track, a baby lift leads to its top. The Kitzsteinhorn has a trail for advanced skiers. On the map of the slopes of the ski resort of Kaprun, red and black slopes are marked here. Information on zones for freeride. For lovers of cross-country skiing, separate routes have been developed that pass through the territory of the local park-reserve. Their length is 32 km. There are several ski jumps, international competitions are held on the territory of the sports complex.
About the slopes of the ski resort:
- The maximum height is 3203 meters above sea level.
- Elevation difference – 1302 m.
- The total length of the slopes is 40 km.
- Route length. Blue – 21 km, red – 19 km, black – 4 km.
- Types of lifts. Five cabins, four chairlifts, 11 rope tows.
- Snow cannons and snow groomers work on the slopes.
- Some of the slopes are illuminated after sunset.
For skiing in summer, you can visit the glacier, which is located on the peak of the Kitzsteinhorn mountain. What does a separate lift lead to. It is convenient to go snowboarding and downhill skiing. A separate track has been made for snowboarders, with artificial obstacles installed on it. For good photos according to tourists’ reviews, it is recommended to visit the Top of Salzburg observation deck.
Ski pass prices depend on the duration of skiing. The basic cost is from 21 Euro. There are discounts for ski-passes for children and regular guests. The price of renting ski equipment and equipment is from 40 Euro for 1 set. You can rent individual items of equipment.
Accommodation options, meals
For accommodation in the ski resort of Kaprun, you can choose a hotel room, hotel or rent a chalet. It is recommended to book apartments in hotel complexes located on the territory of the sports base. An alternative is to rent an apartment or a house in the nearest town of the same name. The main characteristics of the choice are the proximity to the ski lifts, the possibility of catering on site, and after-sales service.
On the territory of the hotel or hotel there should be a place to store inventory, equipment. The choice of places to eat – cafes, restaurants, bars. Prices for accommodation in the ski resort of Kaprun – from 140 Euro. In the hostel they will be lower.
- wellness Hotel Barbarahof Kaprun. It is located on the territory of the sports complex; the number of rooms is 250 apartments. Guests receive free Wi-Fi, parking space. Most rooms offer beautiful mountain views. There are restaurants and bars. Guests in between skiing can relax on the outdoor terrace.
- Victoria (Kosher) Hotel Kaprun. The hotel is convenient for families, in addition to standard services, they offer childcare, and when staying with a child, they can provide an extra bed. There is a botanical garden on the territory, there are entertainments for young tourists.
- Pension Elisabeth. The hotel complex is suitable for relaxing in silence. The rooms are large. There are also thermal pools. You can book a room with breakfast or full board. The housing is located next to the ski lifts. The road to them will take a few minutes.
For meals in the ski resort of Kaprun, it is recommended to stop at traditional Austrian dishes. They are sold in local restaurants and bars. You can try classic Viennese sausages, meat menu. A hearty dinner is recommended for the evening. Most restaurants have a good wine list.